What is it about four-year-olds that makes them so lovable? What problems do four-year-olds have? What can they do now that they couldn't do at three? Drs. Ames and Ilg, recognized authorities on child behavior and development, discuss these and scores of other questions unique to four-year-old girls and boys, and they offer parents practical advice and enlightening psychological insights.
Can Your Four-Year-Old make you a happier, less stressed, and more efficient parent? You bet! Find out about:
• Embarrassing moments . . . how to deal with a four-year-old's fascination with bowel movements, belly buttons, body parts, and forbidden words—without turning red.
• Words that will work a miracle . . . what to say to give your child and instant smile, raise self-esteem, and change behavior quicker than criticism.
• Hyperactivity . . . how to determine if your “always on the go” four-year-old is truly hyperactive.
• Kindergarten readiness . . . school too soon can cause lifelong problems, so note this warning for parents of “fall babies.”
• Encouraging creativity . . . fifteen activities you can initiate to stimulate your child's natural talents and have a great time too!
• Your child's body type: round and plump or bony and angular . . . does it predict behavior, temperament, and social success?
. . . and more!