The purpose of this course is to provide healthcare providers with the knowledge and tools necessary to identify anemia early and respond appropriately. Better health outcomes for the geriatric population will result from an increase in evidence-based clinical practices. In addition, members of the public may use this course to enhance their personal knowledge of the subject matter presented.
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
1. Define anemia and its impact on the geriatric population.
2. Describe the pathophysiology of anemias common in the elderly.
3. Outline the role of nutrient deficiencies in the development of anemia.
4. Compare and contrast other possible causes of anemia in the elderly.
5. Discuss standards for the assessment of elders with anemia.
6. Develop a treatment plan for geriatric patients with anemia.
This 5-hour continuing education course is available for download for professional development; if continuing education credit is desired, please see instructions included in eBook.