Shining the Light is part of the Smithsonian Science Stories Literacy Series. Shining the Light features short stories that pair with the module, How Can We Light Our Way in the Dark? Both are aligned to grade 1 standards and have a focus on science and engineering. In Shining the Light, students will read about why people build and light up dark places, how lights keep people safe, and how animals use light to survive.
Shining the Light includes the following features:
• Stories that focus on the use of light for safety and survival
• Stories that highlight STEM careers
• Incorporation of images of safety and survival lights from the Smithsonian National Museum of American History and Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum and
• deep-sea habitat research from the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History
• On-grade and below-grade formats