Spring training is a time of new beginnings, as the baseball world preps for another season. Hope is in the air, with rookies fighting for roster spots and veterans prepping for another campaign. Every team in spring training contends for a title, as life on the diamond begins anew.
In Florida, spring training is when hardcore baseball fans scout their favorite teams and eagerly track every open roster move. Casual fans head to the ballpark in search of the perfect Florida experience, happy to sit a brew at the outfield bar. This 2book is for both kinds of fans.
Coverage is arranged by area: Gulf Coast (where the Atlanta Braves, Boston Red Sox, Minnesota Twins, and Tampa Bay Rays train), greater Tampa Bay (where the Baltimore Orioles, Detroit Tigers, New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Pirates, Philadelphia Phillies, and Toronto Blue Jays train), and the Port St. Lucie/Jupiter/Palm Beach area (where the Houston Astros, Miami Marlins, New York Mets, St. Louis Cardinals, and Washington Nationals train). We also throw in coverage of college baseball, other sports, and Orlando, a popular spring-training destination for fans of all teams.
Changes for the 2020 spring-training season are highlighted, including a chapter on the new Atlanta Braves facilities in North Port, Sarasota County, unveiled at the end of 2019 spring training. We preview offseason upgrades to Dunedin Stadium, spring home of the Toronto Blue Jays, and First Data Field, spring home of the New York Mets. Every chapter in this book had been upgraded and expanded with coverage of college ballparks and notable historic destinations throughout Florida.
Each chapter features:
• Best seats in each ballpark, whether you want comfort, shade, accessibility or autographs
• Ballpark tips
• Must-sees before and after the games, including local baseball attractions and sports bars
• Training information, to plan a trip before the games start
• Information on new and renovated ballparks
• Travel tips: Low fares at nearby airports, alternative routes (beat the traffic!) and freeway shortcuts
• College games: create your own day-night doubleheaders
• Points of interest for the baseball history fan, including expanded coverage of Jackie Robinson’s first spring training and where he played in Florida
• Changes for spring training 2020 and beyond
This book has been totally revised for spring training 2020, with pricing, ballpark offerings and information updated.