Learning to self-regulate our Zones is hard, serious work that takes time and lots of practice. Tools to Try Cards for Kids is an easy, user-friendly way to help kids ages 5-10 metacognitively explore and practice over 50 self-regulation strategies and empower them to make choices toward figuring out what works best for them.
The digital strategy cards are divided into five color-coded categories to show how the tools work in different ways to help social emotional learners self-regulate their feelings and emotions:
• FEEL IT. These tools use our senses to support regulation and modulation.
• MOVE IT. These tools integrate physical activity to impact regulation and reduce anxiety.
• THINK IT. These tools provide thought-based strategies to help us regulate.
• DO IT. Task and goal-oriented tools involve taking action.
• CONNECT. Co-regulation tools encourage empathy, thinking of others, and accessing relationships for support.
Each strategy card displays an illustration of the self-regulation tool performed by inclusive characters along with a how-to-do-it description. Each card also includes a reflection to help kids consider how they feel after using the tool, how it can be used to help them regulate their Zones, and whether it’s the right tool for them.
For best teaching practice, the strategy deck should be used in tandem with Chapter 4 lessons in The Zones of Regulation curriculum book. The cards are also useful tools when paired with other Zones-related products, such as Navigating The Zones, and the two Zones storybooks: The Road to Regulation and The Regulation Station.
This card deck is a supplement to, not a replacement for, the in-depth curriculum and lessons in The Zones of Regulation book.