The social world is a big, complicated place! We are all social detectives as we observe, gather, and make sense of the clues within different social contexts (settings, situations, and the people in them) to figure out the hidden rules for expected behaviors. This leads us toward understanding how we each feel and think about others in a situation and how we choose to respond to each other’s actions and reactions. We are good Social Detectives when we use our eyes, ears, hearts, and brains to figure out what others are planning to do next or are presently doing and what they mean by their words and actions.
This revised, expanded 2nd edition of the awarding-winning storybook teaches from the social learner’s perspective about the power of observation, reading context, and interpreting clues before choosing how to respond in ways that meet their social goals.
A new structured approach to observation, new illustrations reflecting a broader range of inclusion and diversity in characters, practice pages and activities for deeper learning, specific teaching tips, and a glossary of Social Thinking Vocabulary and concepts are just some of the new material you’ll find inside.
This is the first book in the Superflex® series. It guides readers on a journey of discovery where they can:
• Learn formulas for gathering clues by observing a setting, situation, and people in it
• Be empowered to figure out how the social world works through their own detective lens
• Learn to identify feelings and emotions and connect them to behaviors
• Understand that all feelings are okay, even uncomfortable ones, and we can still learn and grow
• Get support from emojis and special word banks
• Find core Social Thinking® Vocabulary words highlighted throughout to support and strengthen key learning concepts
• Have numerous opportunities to make smart guesses about hidden social rules in various situations
• See examples and tips for school, home, and community life
Celebrate how all of us are social observers who are affected by others’ actions and reactions